Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Justice?

Last week, I happened across an article about a teenager who won a large sum of money in a lawsuit. The lawsuit was against the two convenience store clerks who sold him alcohol, even though he is underage. Apparently he bought the alcohol, drank it, and then drove a vehicle and ended up having a horrific accident that left him paralyzed.

Now I realize that according to Texas law the clerks are criminally liable. I understand that the young man is now paralyzed BUT, ultimate responsibility lies with him, not the clerks. They may have sold it to him but it was his decision to drive drunk.

What happened to personal responsibility? My father taught me that should I do something that ends with consequinces, that I am the one who has to pay the piper. Should these clerks have been fired and/or charged criminally? Yes. But civilly sued? Come on people. You can't look at someone sideways without being sued by someone.

It is early in the day and I am sure there will be more. Gonna be a long day I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment