Friday, July 17, 2009

TGIF...

Have you ever noticed, we say that all the time. TGIF.. We are so glad to be away from the everyday grind of work. But have you ever noticed that when a holiday rolls around we complain that it seems like it was just the other day that it was Christmas or something to that effect? I truly believe that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster it seems to go?

My mother retired last year. In all honesty I think her generation is going to be last that can do that at a decent enough age that they can still enjoy a life before they die. It is sad to say but I look down the road and what I see isn't good. I don't want to have to work until I am 75 years old. Hell I don't want to work until I am 65. I make a good living and I pay my bills. I have tried to save up some money for later in life. I know that social security will be just a memory by the time I retire.

Back when the gold standard was in place, there were times when the economy got rough, but you damn sure weren't printing more money than you could back with gold. Now we have a president who is just throwing good money after bad. Need more? Just print more. It is almost to the point where the paper it is printed on is worth more than the denomination.

Did I miss something in accounting 101? Pay as you go... That is how you do it. If you pay as you go, you don't get overextended. What happens when something is overextended? The definition is:

verb (used with object)
1. to extend, reach, or expand beyond a proper, safe, or reasonable point: a company that overextended its credit to diversify.
2. to extend for too long a time: to overextend a stay.
3. to obligate (oneself) to more activities, work, etc., than one has time for or can accomplish well.

Hmmm, you mean overextending is what usually happens prior to FAILURE? So the way I see it, we have overextended our nations finances and therefore are subject to failure. I know I am not the only person who understands this situation. So if I, Jane Q Citizen, who does not have a economic PHD, understands this, why don't they? They being the government officials in charge of the bank?

Our government consists of a group of people, that we pick every few years. If that is the case, why do we still have the electoral college? Or why is it that money speaks louder than 350 million dissenting voices? Because, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."... Lord Action (1834-1902)..

When you give that kind of power to a group of people who, by and large, have money and are backed by people with more money, then you have a HUGE problem. You end up with a top heavy government that benefits a select few. Not the larger group which consists of the average ordinary Joe who toils aways his days making his boss more money to back the politicians with.

All things great and small that are top heavy, eventually fail. Maybe not immediately. It will last as long as the lower infrastructure can support the weight. Just like a building covered in snow. As long as it is evenly distributed and is below a certain weight (just like the government), the walls (just like the people) will maintain. But once you pass a certain limit, the walls will eventually give way and collapse. What happens then? You have injured people, you have chaos.

You no longer have the support of that which drives the economy in the first place and that is the people. The conductor may steer the train but the coal and the coal handler drive it. I don't know if it is possible for this government to back up and get us out of this mess. I don't think there is time enough before a complete collapse occurs. I only hope that when the collapse occurs, we don't attempt to do "business as usual". That is what got us here in the first place.

More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment