Thursday, September 30, 2010

Daily Ponderings... The joys of homeownership continued...

Welcome back, I must not have bored you to tears with the previous episode.. We left off at the carpet adventure.. After I loaded in the new flooring, I convinced the boyfriend that he loved me enough to install laminate flooring.. Ha! I bet that doesn't happen again lol... In all actuality, the laminate went fairly smooth for two people that have never done this before :-) Of course I bought enough for the living and dining rooms and down the hall. Problem is, I didn't get enough at that moment to finish the hall. Of course at that point the economy was starting to tank and I got paniky. I held off buying any more flooring to finish out the house, thinking this was a temporary dip in the economy.. Boy was I wrong.. without going into details, just know that I sell motorcycle parts and a motorcycle is considered a luxury. Guess what moves to the back burner in a bad economy? Yep, the luxuries.... Here we are nearly two years later and they say the recession has ended. Really? I will say that things have improved but they are by no means good. Anyway.. I will say that at least my cats are having the time of their lives on the new floor... Remember the movie, Over the Hedge? Yep... more pad and less claw Hammy....

Now when I bought the house, the only screens it had on it were on the very front... The bedroom windows are the side to side sliders and good lord that is a pain making screens for, but I did it. Things are looking up... Somewhere around January, I came home one day and it was COLD outside.. I thought it felt cool in the house but since I had just came in, I didn't really think about it. Although around 3 in the morning, I realized that both cats are burrowed under the covers and it is downright frosty in the house. Uh oh. Not a good thing since the heater is set on 72. Luckily, the next day, my mother put me in contact with a GREAT AC/heat repair guy... Bless his heart he came straight out and found the problem in no time. Lucky for me it is was just some fuses and he had them replaced within an hour and didn't charge me my right arm and left leg for the service.. Bless you Mike!

April rolls around and so far, so good... I am headed for work one morning and notice there is water under my garage door. WTH? I go back in to check and discover a hose to my hot water heater has split and is spewing water everywhere. Oh and it is above the heater so I have to go out to the curb to shut the water off... Now this isn't a problem.. I know how to do that. I open the meter box lid and MOTHER OF GOD! I have never in my life seen so many fire ants... The entire meter box is one big fire ant bed.. Now I know they didn't move in there at that level overnight. So does this mean that the meter man has NOT been reading the meter? Now we have a problem... The boyfriend comes over and fixes the water line and I call the water department. The man on the other end informs me that he doesn't deal with fire ants and that it was my responsibility. Now a little common sense please. YOU put in the meter. YOU put in the box that holds the meter. YOU come out every month and read the meter, I don't. YOU turn my service on and off as needed. Therefore, it would be YOUR responsibility to clear the meter so that you can read it and not ESTIMATE my usage. Because when you do come out and read my meter and I have the water bill from hell? Guess which news channel I am going to call first?... Yep, I thought you would see things my way. Thank you..

Well the ants got cleared and low and behold I DID NOT get a huge water bill. Nice... Now that everything is dried out and seems to be working normally...

The next month, one morning, I go to take my usual shower. My shower is one of those, one handle turn left or right for cold or hot type? It has a push plunger to turn the shower on or off. Push in for shower, out for bath... easy? No. It has always been real hard to pull out for the bath setting but I got the hang of it. As I am turning on the water, I notice that a stream of water is shooting out the plunger. Hmm... I push in the plunger and the stream lessens but not completely. Ok, I can deal with this... Don't know why it is doing it but ok...

About a month later, I get in the shower and push in the plunger. It pops right back out. I push it in again.. It pops all the way out, and I mean ALL THE WAY out.. it lands in the bathtub. Hmm... I turn the water off and put it back in. I put it in and hit it. It stays in, PERMANANTLY... Oh hell, at least I can still take a shower. Now what the hell is the name of that part and where do you find one? Not at Lowes or Home Depot. I actually had to find it at one of those online specialty plumbing shops... at least it isn't expensive.

Well, I will finish the story later... Thanks for visiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment